Commercial, Tax, Energy and Mining Unit
The firm is a market leader and is internationally acclaimed for providing specialist commercial, corporate and financial services sectors of the Zimbabwean economy and beyond. The dynamic commercial and financial services unit of the firm is headed by Edwin Isaac Manikai, a co-founder of the firm, and one of the leading lights in the commercial sphere in Zimbabwe. Our clientele ranges from start-ups to well to do conglomerates on all matters affecting the life of a corporate, from inception. The firm renders advice in a wide array of areas in this regard, including:
• Capital markets
• Drafting of legal agreements
• Intellectual Property
• Joint Ventures
• Mergers & Acquisitions
• Mining, Energy and Infrastructure
• Public Private Partnerships (PPPs)
• Restructurings and Insolvency
• Regulatory Compliance and Due Diligence Reviews
Banking and Finance
We offer expert advice in all facets of banking and finance, representing lenders and borrowers in structuring, negotiations and drafting of lending agreements and preparing validity and enforceability opinions.
Our project and infrastructure finance team is highly experienced, specializing in advising on financial matters in among the most significant infrastructure projects in Zimbabwe which need specialized financing arrangements.
We have advised local and international lenders as well as project company and transaction advisers on projects in various sectors such as civil works and infrastructure, including road construction, property developments, energy projects, tourism and mining.
As part of our work on complex project and infrastructure financing transactions, we undertake detailed review of project finance documents, advise on security arrangements, assist with compliance issues and seek to mitigate commercial risks. We have capacity to advise on entire projects until their conclusion.
We always aim to advise and represent our clients (mostly taxpayers) with a high level of competence and diligence. Our tax unit is very instrumental in the structuring of all commercial/financial transactions, with the view of delivering tax efficient structures. Over the years, we have dealt with various tax disputes that came to a successful end. The services we offer include:
• Structuring of commercial and financial transactions;
• Conducting all tax litigation;
• Advising generally on all tax related matters.
Energy and Mining Law
We have a vibrant team that offers advice on energy and mining law projects, including:
• Advising on project finance for energy infrastructure;
• Drafting or reviewing of agreements related to energy, including PPA's;
• Consultancy on specific aspects of the energy markets in particular, power generation and power purchase;
• Issuing of legal opinions on energy legislation and regulations;
• Civil and administrative litigation on behalf of energy companies.
• M&A of mining companies
• Advising on mining rights, conducting due diligence exercises on mining companies
• Advising on a wide range of mining sector contracts including: mining JVAs, royalty agreements, minerals and precious stones legislation, sale agreements for minerals
• Regulatory compliance assistance
• Environmental compliance issues